Thursday, June 7, 2012

Wrestling a Grizzly...


For the past 11 days I have been really laid up with a bad back ache.  The dumb thing is, I really don't know what I did to have hurt it this bad...


 I wish I could say I wrestled a Grizzly and won, or I fell off a horse, something a little more dramatic, but the truth is... I think when I picked up my little 20 pound dog at the vets that I twisted a bit funny and felt it kinda give me a zing, and then later that afternoon, when I was helping my daughter in law pull her chair out, at Chili's that I felt another little zang, and by the time I got in my car I was looking through my purse for the Advil, and trying to remember where I put the heating pad at home.

After 5 days of trying to be tough I gave in and went to the Dr,  and he gave me some muscle relaxant that didn't do a dang thing for my back, just made me so I couldn't walk in a straight line.

Had a sweet neighbor come over and show me a couple tricks that had helped her and actually helped me for a day or two.  But by Sunday I was miserable again.

This week I was in so much pain that Sean came home from work early took me to the Dr. who sent me straight over to physical therapy.  After 3 treatments I am finally able to stand for more than 15 minutes without wanting to cry,  but I am still not a big fan of sitting:)


SO the moral of this story is that I am to young to feel this old. Once I get the Dr's o.k it is back on the bike and time to start addressing, HOW I am not going to do this to myself again, I am not entirely sure what that means; Yoga, or Pilates, dare I say losing weight Ugh.

If you see me hobbling around again, you may assume I have wrestled a Grizzly:)



                                                  "If you do nothing, nothing will change"
                                                                        ~ Steve Hefferon (The Healthy back Institute)

2 comments:

  1. I injured my back while in college, so most every day of my adulthood has included some measure of back pain. When I was your age, the chronic back pain got bad enough I had to have pain meds. Losing all that weight didn't really help. And working fulltime probably added enough stress to keep it going. Now, at 59, I'm still dealing with the same stuff, compounded by osteoporosis. This summer I will be seeking an orthopedic doctor to help me get some relief from one or more of the four areas where the pain is acute. I'll let you know how that goes.

    Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but I feel you pain quite literally. Just be patient -- you will get better. But it takes lots of Ibuprofen and rest. Nothing else will help at the point where you are. Rest and Ibup every 4 hours. The muscle relaxers will only work if you relax. I know you don't want to hear that, but when you get an injury like yours, that's what it takes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that has been the hardest part for me is to actually be still. I love and need to be actively doing something and having to be in bed for 2 weeks was not in my schedule:)
      I have grand babies arriving next week so it was great motivation to do exactly what the Dr. ordered. Thankfully, I am feeling better, patience is the name of the game... and for me that is the hardest part.
      The bright side to this story (and believe me I have had to search for it) is that I had no idea I had become so stiff, I just assumed I could do some of the exercises that my physical therapist gave me they looked ridiculously simple until I tried to do them! I don't think I would have realized this if I had not had to go to physical therapy. So along with my bike riding I have added some much needed stretching exercises:)
      I wish you well with your upcoming Dr apts and I hope that he will be able to give you some relief. It is crazy how the pain takes over every aspect of your life.
      Thanks again for your words of encouragement:)
      Onward and Upward!

      Delete